Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Day 4: Detroit to Chicago

The drive today was pretty unspectacular, mostly just interstates through Southern Michigan. I was corny and put on some Sufjan Stevens, but that didn't make it that much better. Halfway between, though, we stopped in Climax, Michigan to visit Don and scope out the Letts estate. Somehow Don never struck me as coming from such a small town. It was a really nice area, though. If anyone ever visits Don, have him bring you to Scooter's Ice Cream shop, where we got lunch. It's a very small town kind of place, lots of old 50s memorabilia and good, cheap hamburgers.

The Letts estate.

Soy fields in the backyard. Behind the fields there is a fish pond, but it's not stocked at the moment.

More backyard.

Don flashing the peace sign on the dock. He took my picture, too, but I decided it wasn't flattering enough to include. You will have to take my word that my stitches-induced beard is looking extremely rugged and manly.

Don got back from RAGBRAI, a bike tour across Iowa, about a week ago. He was inspired by some guy there to rescue his dad's old road bike and turn it into a single gear bike to ride around at school. After spending all week in the bike shop, he just finished it up and wanted to show it off.

More boring driving from Climax to Chicago. We're staying here at my cousin Ashley's house, which is converted from an old stable used by a firehouse. It's an absolutely beautiful house, very urban chic. I feel like I am world's away from Climax here, especially when we went from Scooter's for lunch to a trendy sushi place for dinner. I think there is a part of me that likes both of these lifestyles, but the for the next two years I'm definently going to be leaning towards rurality, so I'll take my dose of urban trendiness while I can.

No comments: