Friday, July 14, 2006

Galveston

Courtesy of Shannon, a fellow SoDak corps member, I now have some photos to showcase our times in Houston. I'm going to start off with some pictures from this past weekend, which I never really mentioned on here. I was in desperate need of a mini-vacation, so I jumped at the chance to drive down to Galveston and hang out at the beach for a couple of hours. I'm not usually much of a beach guy, but I'm to hit the shore once or twice most summers, and since I'm moving to the middle of the continent, that might not be much of an option soon.

Galveston is supposed to have remarkably ugly beaches, with oil refineries visible from the shore. I didn't really notice these until towards the end of our stay; they're really just a blur off in the distance. I wouldn't say the beach we were at was particularly nice, but it wasn't so bad, either. The water was much warmer than I'm used to in the Northeast, and there were some crazy fish that would jump a couple feet out of the water all the time, which I found a bit unnerving.

Here is Katey enjoying the beach:


Ryan and I lounging:


Katey and Amber, who is making full use of the fact that East Beach is the "party beach" where "alcohol is legal," as signs told us, by drinking one beer:

No comments: