Monday, June 12, 2006

Names

Hildner was wondering about the difference between Wanblee, Rosebud, and Pine Ridge, so I figured I could give a quick explanation. Pine Ridge and Rosebud are two of the reservations in South Dakota, as you can see on this map:


I think most of the reservations in South Dakota are Lakota reservations; I know that both Pine Ridge and Rosebud are. Lakota is differentiated from the Nakota and Dakota, other variations of the Sioux language. The Lakota on Pine Ridge and Rosebud are actually separate tribes, the Oglala and Sicangu, respectively. Along with five other tribes, they make up the Great Sioux Nation. One other note about these reservations are how big they are. I'm told that Pine Ridge is a little smaller than Connecticut, and it's population is around 20,000.

Wanblee, meanwhile, is the town where I will be living and teaching. It is on the Pine Ridge Reservation. This map indicates just where Wanblee is. The surrounding gray area shows the extent of Pine Ridge.

No comments: